Tuesday 8 April 2008

New release of STLport for Symbian OS coming soon

Yes, I'm still alive. Thanks for asking. :-)

I apologize for the long delay since my last post, but I got captured by things more important than coding for fun... In the last few weeks, however, I found the time to update STLport for Symbian OS to the latest release of STLport, that is 5.1.5.

There are still some issues that need to be resolved, but I've already done most of the work. Before making the release and building the binaries for all supported SDKs, I'll make the source code available for testing. Although I've taken into consideration all comments and emails I've received so far, I couldn't reproduce all errors that were reported by users, so I'll need your help to test the new release!

What's new in this release? The main change is the upgrade to STLport 5.1.5 (see STLport's changelog for details). Some bugs have been fixed, build scripts and project files have been improved to make the installation from source code easier. Also, I've added support for RTTI (std::type_info), although it's still experimental.

The prerequisites have changed. In particular, the PIPS library version 1.2 or newer is required (it can be found in the PIPS 1.2 SDK or in the Open C Plugin MR). Older versions may not work. Note that the S60 FP2 SDK already contains the PIPS library, so no additional packages need to be installed. The "reference" IDE that I use for testing the library is now Carbide.c++ 1.3 Express. Older versions of Carbide may not work.

Stay tuned!

No comments: